Hi there, its another round of tips and tricks as usual. But today, it’s gonna be our favorite instant messaging app, Whatsapp.
The number of Whatsapp users are growing every day and this makes it really a must have app if you really want to keep in touch. Since you are reading this, you already have Whatsapp and might even have a handful of Whatsapp tips in your head.
I hope I don’t miss it.
As you already know, popular apps like Facebook, Tweeter, Instagram, Xender and even popular Android web browsers also have their special tips and tricks that only power users usually know.
Like our Xender app tips and tricks, this Whatsapp tips and tricks collection is going to be the best you can find online.
Did you know there’s a Whatsapp Pro mode? It can only be unlocked if you use 99% of these Whatsapp tips.
Oh no, I wasn’t serious about that okay.
Just get ready to learn some new Whatsapp tips that will make you use Whatsapp like a Pro user.
Best Whatsapp Tips & Tricks 2018
Ladies and gentlemen, I bring to you, the sweetest collection of all the best Whatsapp tips you should never miss especially as we are almost in 2019.
We have a lot of tips to share, kinda confused where to start.
Okay, let’s start with the simpler ones and boom, we unpack the hottest Whatsapp tips for you.
Hope you find something to try and also share.
How To Change Your WhatsApp Number
WhatsApp is very user-friendly and always adds new features to make it better. Whatsapp now allows users to change their number without losing their data.
Instead of creating a new account with a new number, you can change your Whatsapp number and all your account info, groups, and settings will be transferred to the new number.
Here’s how to change your Whatsapp phone number.
- To change your Whatsapp phone number, go to Settings -> Account -> Change Number.
- Enter both your old phone number and new phone number and click on Next.
- WhatsApp will verify your new number and once it’s done, just follow the on-screen steps to complete the process.
How To Enable 2-Step Verification On Whatsapp
Like most social media apps that really take security seriously, Whatsapp also supports a two-step security verification.
The two-step verification feature provides an extra layer of security. The two-step verification on Whatsapp requires you to create a 6-digit PIN number which will always be requested when registering your phone number with WhatsApp again.
Try to use a number combination you can always remember or write it somewhere to avoid getting locked out of your account in case you lose it.
To enable 2-Step verification on Whatsapp, go to Settings > Account > Two-Step Verification > Enable.
You can also add an email address to your account which will be used to reset your PIN if you lose it.
How To Send A Message To Multiple Contacts On Whatsapp/Broadcast List
With Whatsapp, you can send a message to multiple contacts at the same time. This is useful if you want to send the same photo, message or video to a number of people without having to manually send it individually.
To send a message to several people at the same time, here’s how to do it.
- Open your Whatsapp and tap on the options icon
- Select New broadcast
- All your saved contacts will be visible. You can now mark all the contacts you wish to add to the broadcast list
- Once you are done, click on the green icon at the bottom to save it
You can find the Broadcast List under your chats. So next time you want to send a happy new month message, notification or whatever to everyone at once, just type the message and send it to the broadcast list.
From there, you can decide which individuals you want to send your messages on a Broadcast List. This feature can be compared to sending emails with the BCC option.
How To Save Whatsapp Chat Shortcuts To Your Home Screen (Android Only)
As an Android user, you can save shortcuts to conversations on your Home screen. To save a Whatsapp contact to your home screen, press down on a chat and tap on Add Chat Shortcut.
This will add an icon to your home screen with the title and photo of the conversation. It’s easy and helps you quickly reach your favorite contacts.
How To Reply To Specific Messages In A Conversation
This is a very popular feature that almost every Whatsapp user should know. If you want to reply to specific messages in a conversation,
- Press down on that message and tap on reply.
This will show a link to that message and then your reply below it. It’s very useful to direct someone to a specific conversation especially in a group chat.
How To Hide Your “Last Seen” Time On Whatsapp
How To Make Audio & Video Calls On Whatsapp
One of the best tips about Whatsapp any Whatsapp user is expected to know is the ability to make and receive both Voice and Video calls.
Like Google Duo and other apps that can be used to make video calls, Whatsapp video and voice calls are great and users are really enjoying this great feature.
Making voice and video calls on Whatsapp is very simple too. Here’s how to make voice and video calls on Whatsapp.
- Open your Whatsapp Messenger and select the contact/chat you wish to call or video chat
- Click on the Phone icon at the top of your screen to make a voice call or the Video camera icon to make a video call.
How To Mark A Chat As Read or Unread In Whatsapp
Whatsapp has a cool feature that can help you remember to check your messages. You can mark a chat as read or unread depending on what you want.
Marking a chat thread as unread is a great way to remind you to reply later on in case you are too busy or you can mark an unread chat as read if you don’t want to open it at all.
You can mark a chat as unread/read by following this simple steps.
- On Android, open your Whatsapp, press and hold on the chat for about 3 seconds, click the 3 dots option icons at the top right of your screen, select Mark as read/unread
- On iOS, you can also mark a conversation as unread by swiping from left to right on the conversation and tapping on the Unread icon.
Another Whatsapp tip/trick to read all the chats on your Whatsapp without actually opening any is to mark all the chats and then tick the Mark as read to clear all the unread chats.
This is useful if you have too many Whatsapp chats to attend to but only need to open a few important ones.
How To Change Your Whatsapp Profile Picture
Did I just add such a simple thing? Oh yes, I did!
Most people who use WhatsApp with a blank display picture don’t just love the default image on WhatsApp, they actually don’t know how to change their WhatsApp profile picture to a custom image.
Please try to make your WhatsApp updated to the latest version to WhatsApp to enjoy all the latest features.
Well, here’s how to change your WhatsApp profile picture.
- Open your WhatsApp Messenger
- Click on 3 dots at the top right
- Select Settings
- Click on the Profile picture being displayed
- Tap on the camera icon
- Select Camera to take a picture or select Gallery to pick a picture from your photo album.
- Crop the picture if needed and select it to upload.
It is so simple to add a profile picture to your WhatsApp.
How To Delete Any Sent WhatsApp Message
WhatsApp added a nice message retract feature which enables you to delete your sent messages from your phone and even on the receiver’s phone too.
It’s nice, right?
When you quickly discover the message you sent isn’t meant for that person or whatever, undoing it is the best option.
If you are on the latest version of WhatsApp, you will have this feature.
You can either delete the message from your phone or delete it from both sides (you and the recipient)
To delete WhatsApp messages that you have already sent, here is what to do.
- Press and hold the entire message you wish to delete.
- Select the delete/trash icon at the top of your screen.
- Now from the delete options, select Delete for me(deletes the message from your device only) or Delete for everyone(deletes the message on your device as well as on the receiving phone.
Once it’s deleted, you can’t get back your message unless you copied it before.
You can only delete your own messages from your phone and other phones and you have to delete messages as you send it. You can delete your messages from individual chats and WhatsApp groups as well.
How To Send Customized Text On WhatsApp
Do you love to add some more customizations to your text on WhatsApp like Bold, Italic, and
It’s very simple and easy to get it done. Below are the cool WhatsApp message formatting tips.
How To Make Your Sent Message In WhatsApp Bold
To make your text on WhatsApp bold, here’s what to do.
- Type the text you want to make bold.
- Surround it with the * (star) symbol.
Example: This is *Chris*
- Chris will now be bold.
How To Make Your Sent Message In WhatsApp In Italic Format
If you would like the text to be in Italic, here’s what you need to do.
- Type the text you wish to add Italic formatting to.
- Surround the text with the _ (underline) symbol. Example: This is the code _12345_ you need.
- The surrounded text will be in Italic
How To Send A Text In Bold & Italic Formatting Via Whatsapp
Its very possible to send a message and make it bold and Italic at the same time. Let’s say you want something like: Don’t give up
- Type the text you wish to add bold and Italic formatting.
- Surround the text with _* symbols. E.g
This is the code _*12345*_ you need.
- The text will then look like this
How To Add
To make your text have a strikethrough, here’s what you need to do.
- Add strikethrough text by surrounding it with the ~ (tilde) symbol.
Example: I can eat the Oranges but the ~Apples are really bad~
How To Change The Text Font Type On WhatsApp
WhatsApp allows you to use the FixedSys font by adding three grave symbols at the beginning and at the end of that text (“`example“`).
You should be able to find the grave accent symbol by long pressing on the apostrophe key.
You can also combine any formatting mentioned above to use two or more formatting options at the same time.
You will see a preview of the formatting plus the symbols before the message is sent. When sent, the receiver will only see what you actually intended for them to see.
If you see any formatting that someone sends that you don’t know how to do,
- Simple copy the whole text
- Paste it in your WhatsApp text editor
- The text plus the symbols used will be visible
- You now know the trick and can use it too
How To Mute Chat Notifications On WhatsApp
If you belong to so many WhatsApp groups that you might not catch up with all the time, there’s a possibility of receiving notifications for all the messages sent into the group.
Sometimes these notifications become really much and annoying or disturbing especially if you also have notification tunes.
Or do you want to just block notifications from a particular number?
It’s just simple and straightforward. Whatever your reasons are, here are the steps you need to take to block notifications from WhatsApp chats and groups.
- Open your WhatsApp Messenger
- Under Chats category, press and hold on the WhatsApp group or Chat for about 3 seconds.
- Tap on the Speaker/Sound icon at the top of your screen.
- Select the mute period; 8 hours, 1 week or 1 year and press okay.
You can mute the chats but still show or hide the notifications. Muting only stops those disturbing sounds.
How To Pin A WhatsApp Chat
Pining a chat will always be useful if you have too many chats but need to always have the important ones stay at the top no matter how many chats you engage in.
Normally, WhatsApp puts the most recent chats at the top of the list and push other older chats down.
You might have friends and family members that you will love to always chat with, but once you engage too many others, you wouldn’t find the special ones at the top.
This is where pinning of chats on WhatsApp comes in.
To pin any chat on WhatsApp, here’s the simple thing to do.
- Open the WhatsApp messenger
- Scroll down to the chat you wish to pin.
- Press and hold the chat.
- Click on the pin icon at the top of your screen
- The chat is now pinned and would always be visible no matter how many different chats you engage in
WhatsApp Status Tips & Tricks
WhatsApp Status update feature is a great addition to the app. You can now post video, picture, links, text etc on your status which stays just for 24hrs.
Below are some tips and tricks on WhatsApp Status.
- To view the next or previous WhatsApp Status of the same user, you should either click on the far right/left of your screen to view the next status.
- To view the next status from another user, swipe right or left on the status screen.
- To pause any status so you can attend to something else, press and hold the status until you are done.
How To Backup Whatsapp Chats
Backing up your Whatsapp chats is very important and also easy. With a backup, whatever happens to your Whatsapp unexpectedly will not leave you disappointed.
WhatsApp allows you to back up your chat conversations and media using a cloud storage service so that you can restore the content again when you switch devices.
You can set this up so it backs up automatically every day, every week or every month. This feature can be found under Settings > Chats > Chat Backup > Auto Backup.
WhatsApp backs up with iCloud on iOS and Google Drive on Android.
After your WhatsApp chat conversations and media are backed up, you can restore it again after reinstalling WhatsApp. This is especially useful when you get a new device.
Check Who Has Read Your Messages
Are you wondering if your message has been read? If you want to see who has read your message, then you can do so in two ways.
- By opening the information panel of the message. On iOS, you can quickly pull it up by putting your finger on the message and then swipe from right to left or push down on the message and tap on Info. And
- On Android, you can tap and hold on the sent message and tap the info icon at the top of your screen or you may have to tap on Menu button > Info.
It will even show you when the message was read, so you can catch those who keep ignoring your messages for no just reason.
How To Clear Up Whatsapp Storage Space
Most of Whatsapp storage space increase can be traced to media files like audio, videos, and photos from chats and large groups.
This happens when your Whatsapp is set to automatically download attachments via mobile data. Well, you can reduce the storage usage by making some changes to Whatsapp data and storage usage settings.
Here’s how to reduce Whatsapp data and storage usage on your smartphone.
WhatsApp allows you to see how much storage space is being used for each individual and group chat by going to Settings > Data and Storage Usage > Storage Usage.
If you are running low on storage space on your device, then I would recommend backing up your important photos and videos to a service like Google Photos, iCloud or Amazon Photos before clearing it up on WhatsApp.
How To Customize Whatsapp Notification
You can customize the alert tones for each chat conversation on WhatsApp. This could help you distinguish which conversation each message is coming from.
You can set this up by tapping on the name of the chat window and then tap Custom Tone.
Then select the specific tone that you want for that group or individual chat.
How To Edit Photos And Videos Before Sending
How To Export Whatsapp Chats
In case you want to export a chat conversation to your email or computer, you can do so by utilizing the Export Chat feature.
This can be found by going to the Group Info or Contact Info of a chat by tapping on the name of the conversation at the top.
Then tap on Export Chat towards the bottom. You will then be asked if you want to Attach Media or export Without Media. Note: Attaching media generates a larger chat archive.
Once you make your selection, you will be asked where to send the zip file. That zip file will contain the media that you exported along with a text file of the conversation.
On Android, open the chat message, select options, More, Export chat.
How To Forwarding Messages In WhatsApp
If you received a message, video or photo that is interesting or you just want to forward it to someone, you can easily forward it to others and avoid having to save the content and send it again as an attachment.
To forward a message, press and hold on the message for some seconds and then tap on the forward icon at the top of your screen.
How To Show/Hide “Read” Receipts On Whatsapp
Whatsapp makes it easy to know when your message was sent, received and read as well. When you send out a message, you will find some checkmarks which actually gives you more details of the status of the sent messages.
- One grey check mark shows that the message was sent.
- Two grey check marks show that the sent message was received.
- Two blue check marks will show that the receiver has read the message.
There’s more to this than just what you can see.
If you do not want people to see that you have read their messages, then you can disable this feature by going to Settings > Account > Privacy > Read Receipts.
You need to also know that, when you turn off read receipts, it will prevent you from being able to see read receipts when others read your messages. Read receipts are always sent for group chats.
How To Read Whatsapp Messages Without Being Detected
If you don’t want to turn off read receipts from Whatsapp privacy settings, you can still read received messages and still not be detected.
- Turn on airplane mode on your device
- Open and read the message you wish to read without being caught/detected.
- Then close the WhatsApp app/clear it from the recent apps list
- Turn off airplane mode
- The sender of the message won’t get a blue ticks/checkmarks to show you have read the message.
How To Send A Whatsapp Message To Any Number Without Saving The Contact
Normally, you need to save a contact’s number to your phone before you can send a message to that contact. But, with the trick below, you can send a message to any number without first saving the contact’s details to your phone.
To send a message to any number without saving it to your phone, here’s what you should do.
- Open any web browser on your smartphone e.g Google Chrome
- Type this link into your browser
- Replace the number in the link with the number plus the country code of the person you want to send a Whatsapp message to. E.g, https://api.whatsapp.com/send?phone=2348069829496
- Hit the enter button
- A Whatsapp window will appear asking you to confirm if you want to send a message to the number
- Select Send message
- That’s how easy it’s to send messages to any number without actually saving it to your phone
How To Limit Whatsapp Data Usage
With Whatsapp, you can send different files like Audio, Video, Photos, and documents. With all these attachments, Whatsapp uses a lot of data or storage space.
If you have a lot of Whatsapp contacts and groups who send you a lot of photos and videos, need to make some minor modifications to control how much data you use through your phone plan.
Here’s how to limit Whatsapp data usage.
- Go to Settings > Data and Storage Usage.
- From there you can decide whether to download photos, audio, videos and documents through Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi and Cellular or Never.
- You can also tick the low data usage option to reduce the amount of data used during a Whatsapp call on mobile data.
How To Share Location On Whatsapp
One of those cool features added to Whatsapp sometime ago is the location sharing feature.
WhatsApp allows you to share your real-time/current location with other users. To do this, your location/GPS service on your smartphone needs to be enabled.
You can either share your Live location or send your current location(Accurate to 2299 meters) to any of your contacts.
The Current Location feature can be useful when you are in a location that you are not familiar with or is very crowded.
The Live Location feature allows you to share your real-time location for 15 minutes, 1 hour or 8 hours. It will help you or your friends easily track each other.
To share your location on Whatsapp, here’s what you need to do.
- Open Whatsapp and select any chat or contact you wish to share your location to
- Tap on the + icon or attachment icon in a conversation and then tap on Location.
- You can now select whether to share your Live Location or Current Location.
How To Mute Conversations/Chats On Whatsapp
One of my most used Whatsapp features is the Conversation Mute feature. If you receive a lot of unimportant and noisy notifications from Whatsapp groups and individuals, you can comfortably mute the contact/group and feel free once again.
Here’s how to mute conversation notifications form individuals/groups on Whatsapp.
- Open your Whatsapp
- Under the Chats tab, press and hold on the name of the group or individual chat and select the Speaker icon at the top.
- Then select either 8 hours, 1 week or one year for the mute interval. Note that you will miss any notification from the muted chat for the time period selected.
Alternatively, for individual and group chats, you can open the chat, click on the 3 dots options icon and select mute notifications.
How To Show/Hide Whatsapp Media From Showing On Your Camera Roll/Gallery
Normally, WhatsApp will save received media to your phone and there will show up in your camera roll/gallery. If this isn’t really cool to you, you can hide Whatsapp media from showing on your Gallery/Camera roll.
To do this,
- Open your Whatsapp and go to Settings > Chats > toggle off Save to Camera Roll (iOS) or Settings > Chats > Show Media in gallery (Android).
How To Turn Off Message Previews For Whatsapp
Normally, when you receive a message on WhatsApp, you will get a notification of the message with a preview on your Lock Screen or Notification Center.
If you don’t like it, you can disable it.
To enable/disable message preview for Whatsapp,
- Open Whatsapp
- Go to Settings > Notifications > and then toggle off/on Show Preview.
How To Use Whatsapp On Your Computer/Desktop or Web
If you would love to continue enjoying Whatsapp on your computer too, then you can do so by following the steps below.
- Download WhatsApp for desktop on Windows and Mac.
- Scan a QR code from your mobile device in order to verify your identity.
- That’s all you need to use Whatsapp on your desktop or the web.
How To View, Export/Download Your Whatsapp User Data
After the Facebook data scandal issues, more people were really concerned about their privacy since Whatsapp is now owned by Facebook.
If you would like to download your Whatsapp data which includes your Whatsapp account information and settings. Note that this report doesn’t include your messages. You can export your Whatsapp messages easily if you need it.
To request your WhatsApp account info,
- Open Whatsapp, go to Whatsapp Settings > Account > Request Account info
- Tap Request report
- The screen will then update to Request sent
When your request is ready, you will receive a notification on your phone informing you that your account info report is available to be downloaded.
How To Restrict Group Members From Changing Group Title, Photo, and More
As an admin, you can restrict the members of your group from changing the group name/title, photos and more by modifying some Whatsapp group settings.
Here’s how to stop Whatsapp group members from editing the group title and profile pictures.
- Open Whatsapp and tap on the Group name
- Tap on Group settings
- Tap on the “Edit group info”
- Now change the default from All participants to Only admins
That’s it. No member can modify your Whatsapp group info anymore.
How To Add A Group Description For A Whatsapp Group
Every Whatsapp group can be more personalized through a profile photo, group description etc. To change the group description, please follow the simple steps below.
- Tap on the group name and then on “Add group description”
- In the text field that pops up, enter your text for the group’s description and click the save button.
Read Deleted Messages on WhatsApp (Android Only)
The ability to delete sent messages on Whatsapp is a welcomed one. Once a message has been deleted for everyone, you can see it again unless you saw the preview before it was taken down.
Well, with a third party app called Notification History, you can see deleted Whatsapp messages. This app will keep a record of all your notifications which includes your WhatsApp messages.
The app is free to use with ads or you can buy the pro version for $1.99.
How To Share/Send Files (PDF, APK, ZIP, RAR etc) Via WhatsApp
WhatsApp introduced the functionality to share all types of files like PDFs, APK, ZIP, RAR or any other file type.
To send any file through WhatsApp;
- Open the WhatsApp chat/group you want to send a document to
- Tap the attachment icon.
- Tap on document from the list of the options.
- Locate and select your file and tap to send it.
How To Check The Name Of Unknown Numbers In WhatsApp
Truecaller app could help in identifying an unknown contact that is calling, and also any message sender.
With these features of WhatsApp, you view the name of an unknown number in case you don’t use Truecaller.
- To do so, open the chat thread of the unknown number and tap the top bar where the number is present.
- On the next screen, you will see the senders name on the right side of the phone number in the top section. The name will be shown only for numbers that are not in your contact list.
How To Listen To Voice Recordings Privately On WhatsApp
Normally, WhatsApp plays voice recordings on speaker, which most times might not be okay in public especially when you don’t want to be heard.
To listen to voice recordings privately via your earpiece, all you need to do is tap the play button on the voice recording in WhatsApp and take your phone near your ear as if you are talking to someone.
This will play the voice recording privately via the earpiece.
How To Change Your WhatsApp Name
Did you know you can change your WhatsApp name to anything you want?
To change your WhatsApp name, tap the three-dot icon in the top-right corner of WhatsApp and select Settings from the menu.
Then tap the first option and enter your new name in the Name section. This is not your username or pin, but it’s simply a name to identify you.
How To Copy Your Whatsapp Text Status
If you have noticed, there’s no option to copy your Whatsapp status directly from the Status screen after posting it. Well, a friend asked me to send him a status a manually typed but I found out it wasn’t just easy straight up.
Here’s how to copy your Whatsapp text status easily so you can reshare or send it directly to your contacts.
- Open your Whatsapp
- Tap on the Status tab
- Click on the 3 dots … just after My status
- Press and hold on the text status for about 3 seconds
- Tap on the copy icon at the top of the screen and it’s copied.
You can also tap on the Forward icon to send it directly to any contact you want.
Do you have a WhatsApp tip that you think we should know? Please let’s know via the comments box.