Every real smartphone actually comes with a file manager because of how important and indispensable it is. A file manager has so many features that make it very useful. This is why you need the best file manager apps for Android.
A file manager lets you view files on your device and Micro SD card, rename files, edit files, transfer files, copy or move files and so many other functions. A good file manager does all this but most third-party Android file managers take it to another level with more awesome features and customization.
As one who likes using more than one app with similar functions on my Android phone, I have been able to put together the best file manager apps for Android you should know before 2019. Having one of these file manager apps will make you ditch your stock file manager completely.
For those whose devices don’t have a file manager, this is good news. The file manager apps for Android are selected directly from the Google play store and have been tried and trusted by so many lovers of Android like you and I.
So, let me quickly name all the file manager apps for Android that are worth trying out.
Best File Manager App For Android In 2018
Total Commander – File Manager
If you know the PC version of Total Commander, then this will make you smile. Total Commander File Manager for Android is a favorite of so many Android users and will always be. It’s one of the very best file manager apps for Android.
Contrary to what other file manager apps have, Total Commander is very user-friendly with no ad intrusion. Some of the main features of total commander include:
- Copy and move whole subdirectories
- Drag & Drop support (long press on file icon, move icon)
- Delete (no recycle bin)
- Zip and unzip, unrar
- Properties dialog, change permissions
- Built-in text editor
- Search function (also for text)
- Select/unselect groups of files
- List of installed Apps (built-in plugin)
- FTP and SFTP client (plugin)
- WebDAV (Web folders) (plugin)
- LAN access (plugin)
- Plugins for cloud services: Google Drive, Microsoft Live, Dropbox
- Media player which can stream directly from LAN, WebDAV and cloud plugins
- Optimized for visually impaired people
- Supports multiple languages
- Supports rooted devices
It’s easily customizable with themes and doesn’t use a lot of space like most file managers.
ES File Explorer/Manager PRO
ES File Explorer is an extremely popular file manager app for Android that has always been my favorite. I recommend the Pro version of the app because the free one actually shows too many ads that negatively affect the user experience.
Like Total Commander, ES File Explorer is very customizable, supports rooted devices, has plugin support plus other features like,
- Cloud Management
- SD card analyst
- App Manager
- Remote File Manager
- Archive manager
- Built-in viewers and players for various file types
- Functions as an FTP and WebDAV client
- Bluetooth file browser
- Task manager and phone cleaner.
With so many cool features, ES File Explorer pro has always been my favorite Android file manager app.
X-plore File Manager
If sweet looks and super features matter to you, X-plore File Manager should be your #1 Andriod file manager. It’s one of the best Android file managers with an innovative design. It has a crisp, clean and classic UI.
Apart from good looks that might look deceptive, it is packed with a lot of powerful features as it has always done. Outstanding features include:
- Dual-pane tree view
- Root, FTP, SMB1 / SMB2, SQLite, Zip, Rar, 7zip, DLNA/UPnP explorer
- Disk Map
- Cloud storage access: Google Drive™, Dropbox, Box, Amazon cloud drive, ОБЛАКО.mail.ru, Mega.co, OneDrive, Flickr, Webdav, Yandex.disk, MediaFire, IDrive, Owncloud, PCloud, SugarSync, Dump Truck, pCloud, Picasa
- SSH File Transfer (SFTP) and SSH Shell – http://bit.ly/xp-ssh ***
- Built-in Music player
- App manager
- USB OTG
- PDF viewer (on Android 5.0+)
- WiFi file sharing *** – http://bit.ly/xp-wifi
- Manage files from a PC web browser *** – http://bit.ly/xp-web
- Built-in viewers for images, audio, text
- Video player with subtitles ***
- Hex viewer
- Vault for encrypting sensitive files – http://bit.ly/xp-v ***
File Manager by Xiaomi: release file storage space
The file manager all the MIUI users are used to can be yours too. Thanks to Xiaomi, the Xiaomi File Manager is so cool that I rarely ignore it even in the midst of other file managers on my phone.
It includes features to show you all your recent files, clearing your storage and a super awesome search box. More key features of Mi File Manager includes,
- Files are arranged in categories
- A cleaner to help free up storage space on your device by deleting cache and junk files.
- Mi Drop which allows you to share files with friends who are nearby without connecting to the Internet.
- Multiple file formats support
- Compress and decompress ZIP/RAR archives.
- Select multiple files for the same operation.
- And multiple languages support
Solid Explorer File Manager
Solid Explorer file manager is a nice file manager app with a clean material design that showcases it’s file management features in a clean UI.
It’s secured and can enable you to protect your files and folders with a password/fingerprint. More features of Solid file explorer includes,
- Great customization options
- Two independent panels serving as file browsers
- Drag and Drop support
- FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, SMB/CIFS clients
- Supports ZIP, 7ZIP, RAR and TAR archives, even encrypted
- Supports creating password-protected ZIP and 7ZIP archives
- Cloud file manager: Dropbox, Box, OneDrive, Google Drive, SugarSync, Copy, Mediafire, Owncloud, Yandex
- Root access/Root explorer
- Plugins support to extend features
- Powerful search
- Batch rename:
File Browser by Astro (File Manager)
What pisses most people off with apps are mostly ads that won’t let you enjoy the features in the app. Astro file manager is a great file management app that is complete without ads and doesn’t sacrifice your most important features.
Astro is the best file manager and memory cleaner app to make the most out of your internal and external storage and boost phone memory. A handy file organizer to move, copy, delete backup files and clean their phone. Astro has all the top-rated file manager features that you would always need.
File Manager by ZenUI, ASUS Computer Inc brings all you will always love in a file manager. According to a review on the Google Play store, a user says,
“File Manager by ZenUI is a perfect real life saver. It literally makes your phone look like a PC desktop with folders and files that you can move easily wherever you like. I wish I could vote it 10 stars. The ads are very non-intrusive and you feel like you are using the premium version already”
File Manager by ZenUI is simple, easy to use with no bloatware just like ES File Explorer free version used to be.
FX File Explorer
FX File Explorer is a clean file manager with NO ads, NO Analytics, NO tracking and all the annoying stuff you don’t like. It has a material design that looks really good and loads of powerful features every file manager app should have.
What do you think might be missing? I guess you won’t find any. Go and try it out.
File Manager & Clean Booster
File Manager & Clean Booster is a perfect file manager and an app cleaner that gives you two super functions in one app. The file manager has features that make it really perfect.
- File Manager with built-in features to do most of the stuff with desktop-grade features
- Functions as an FTP
- Recycle Bin support.
- Easily to manage all your installed applications.
- Speed Booster.
- Junk Cleaner:
- CPU cooler.
- Search Large Files
If you are looking for a cool file manager on your Android phone that will replace your stock file manager app, then this list would be very helpful. Each app actually does so well that you might end up installing all of them like I did. LOL.
Enjoy the best file manager apps currently available on the Google Play store.
Check out some more interesting contents below.