Microsoft or Windows mobile devices are very user-friendly and simple, yes, to an extent. Although they have been seriously overtaken by Android and iOS/Apple devices, they are still being used by a good number of Microsoft fans.
If you have been using your Microsoft mobile device without issues, it’s really interesting and we hope it continues that way. In this post, we are going to learn how to quickly fix a very disturbing error on these devices when you try to download an app from the app store.
If you noticed carefully, the error comes up when you try to download an app. It reads,
My Family setup needed
“My family needs to be set up before you can get this app. Ask a parent to go to windowsphone.com/family on their computer, sign in with their Microsoft account, and set up My Family.”
And that’s the frustrating error you keep getting even when you try to download popular free apps. Would you like to know what Microsoft My Family is all about? OK, let’s quickly go through what it means before hitting the nail on the head.
When I first had this issue or notification on my phone, I didn’t actually bother to check because my Android phone got me covered. But, the whole thing is just for every user’s good. Let’s see.
What is Microsoft My Family all about?
Microsoft family is a free service that helps families stay connected, and keep kids safer on Windows 10 and Xbox One devices with features like activity reporting, screen time limits, and content restrictions.
You’ll find these settings on account.microsoft.com/family, where you can also track kids’ spending and add money to their Microsoft accounts.
The easiest way to set up and manage your family is on account.microsoft.com/family where you invite members to join, and once they accept, you can start setting restrictions, scheduling events on your family calendar, and if you already use Skype, you’ll have a family group chat set up and waiting for you.
With Microsoft Family feature, you can view Activity reports like your child’s online activity on Windows 10 and Xbox One devices, visited sites, apps and games downloaded and even search details.
You can control the time they spend with the phone or Xbox(screen time). You can also schedule when they’re allowed to have screen time, set screen time limits, restrict contents as well as effortlessly keep an eye on their shopping or spending.
That’s just the reason why Microsoft would not allow you to download the app you want because Microsoft Family isn’t set up.
How To Fix My Family Setup Needed on Microsoft Windows Devices
Here’s is a working method to help you fix the My Family Setup Needed error during app installations on Microsoft mobile devices e.g Microsoft Lumia 535, Microsoft Lumia 520, Microsoft Lumia 540 etc. Just take your time and make sure you do it as described.
Note, you can do it comfortably on your smartphone without a PC. Yes, I do it all the time.
- You should already have a Microsoft account on the device and also have the login details handy in case you need them. You can also reset your account’s password if you have forgotten it.
- I suppose you already have the error on your Microsoft Mobile device, so just keep your data service turned on for all the incoming notification to be received as soon as it’s sent.
- Use another smartphone, preferably an Android or iPhone to visit https://account.microsoft.com/family
- Sign in with another Microsoft account that’s functioning.
- Once you, your friend or a parent signs in successfully, the rest is as simple as turning on your phone.
- Make sure you know the person who owns the account and you can contact him/her easily in case of any necessity.
- The account must be owned by an adult, you can edit the age to make sure it’s an adult.
A kid can’t be your guide here, you need an older person physically or theoretically.
- Click on Family
- Select Add a family member
- Choose Adult and enter the person’s registered email/mobile phone number. You are to input the email/phone number of the affected account.
- You might be needed to complete a simple test to make sure you aren’t a bot or automated machine. Once the code is entered correctly, click on Send invite
- You will get an instant notification of the status of the invitation.
- Now check your email account on the device with the Microsoft Family setup issue, you will see a mail asking you to confirm so as to be joined as a family to the given account. You don’t need to think about it because it expires, just hit the confirmation link and sign in if you are asked to.
- Once you sign in, your friend will no longer see your invitation as pending, you will be automatically added to the family.
You are almost some steps away to fixing the Microsoft Family setup needed issue.
If it doesn’t reflect, you should refresh the page or you can also accept the invitation from the same page while your friend’s account will be signed out for you to sign in.
- Once that is done, go back to the device with the issue and close all the apps. Reopen the store and try downloading the forbidden app again. It should now download fine without issues.
If it doesn’t, please give it a while, or restart your device and redo the downloading. As simple and straightforward as this sounds, it will help you get access to all your favorite apps and games on your Microsoft mobile device without the My family setup notification always keeping you out of the game.
If you had like to ask any questions or say something, please feel free to add it via the comments box below. Also, check out some more interesting contents: