Hi, Howdy. Have you or are you battling with screen overlay detected problem on your Android phone? Well, here’s the one stop solution to the screen overlay detected error or problem on your Android.
Screen overlay detected isn’t just happenning to your device, you can find other people searching for the same issues like how to fix screen overlay detected on whatsapp, LG, Samsung, Oppo, Mi/Xiaomi, HTC phones etc.
Unless you are using maybe an iOS device, then yiu won’t see such detections.
For a better understanding of the problem, here’s a quick explanation of what Screen overlay is on Android.
What’s Screen Overlay?
Screen overlay simply means, an app is showing on top of another app. Kinda, a layer on another surface.
Starting with Android Marshmallow, the “screen overlay detected” error is a very popular problem which it stops or disallow certain apps to launch or work properly like Messages, Gallery etc.
With so many apps, it’s always hard to figure out which app is causing the screen overlay issues on your phone.
How to turn off screen overlay detected
Not just how to turn off screen overlay detected, it’s going to be a how to permanently fix or turn off screen overlay detected on Android.
Now, sometimes when this error is generated, it includes an “Open Settings” link that sends you directly into the “Draw over other apps” menu.
All the apps that can draw over others will be listed.
You can manually click on the suspected apps like Facebook Messenger, Musicmatch, etc that could be displaying over other apps and disable/turn it off from displaying over other apps.
You could disable every single one, but that could be super time consuming, especially if you have dozens of apps installed that can apply overlays.
And here’s a faster way to solve the issue of screen overlay detected on your Android phone.
- Download and install this app called Button Unlocker Fix Screen Overlay
- Open the app after installation
- Turn on the switch at the top, close to Install Button Unlocker
- It will take you to Accessibility settings, click on Install Button Unlocker on the list and turn on accessibility service for it.
- Make sure to click OK.
- Finally, it will ask you to grant Install Button Unlocker permission to display over other apps. Click on the allow button to allow it.
- That’s all.
With this simple and useful app, you don’t need to worry about apps that cause overlay issues on your Android.
How to Access the “Draw Over Other Apps” Menu
On Stock Android 8 Oreo
- Pull the notification shade and tap the gear icon to open Settings.
- Choose the “Apps & Notifications” category, and then tap the “Advanced” button.
- Tap on “Special App Access”
- Select “Display Over Other Apps” option.
On Stock Android 6 Marshmallow or 7 Nougat
- Pull the notification shade twice and tap the gear icon.
- From there, head down to “Apps,” and then tap the gear icon in the top right.
- Scroll down and tap the “Special Access” option.
- You’ll find the “Draw over other apps” menu.
On Samsung Devices
Samsung made it easier to locate and turn off apps displaying over others/overlay.
- Pull down the notification shade and tap the gear icon, and then scroll down the “Applications” option.
- Tap the “Application manager” link, then the “More” button in the top-right.
- Select the “Apps that can appear on top” option
- You are now in the
On LG Devices
- Again, pull the notification shade down and tap the gear icon, then jump into the “Apps” menu.
- Next, tap the three-dot overflow button, and then select the “Configure apps” option.
Got issues? Leave a comment below.