[su_heading size=”18″]What is MTP[/su_heading] MTP(Media Transfer Protocol) is an extension to the Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP) communications protocol that allows media files to be transferred automically to and from portable devices like an Android smartphone.
[su_heading size=”18″]What is MTP on Android[/su_heading]MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) first showed up as default on Android devices with Honeycomb. It’s a bit of a change from the normal USB Mass Storage (UMS) file transfer that we’re used to, where you plug in your phone, hit “USB mode” and start moving files. With UMS you can only access your files on the PC while it’s connected, while MTP allows you to access your media/contents on both the PC and the smartphone at the same time. If the MTP USB device drivers on your PC is working correctly, you wouldn’t have issues connecting your device to the PC and accessing the contents. MTP USB drivers are important if you need to access contents on portable devices via your computer. Recently, after having some virus infection and cleaning it up with BitDender Antivirus, I noticed the MTP USB device drivers have failed to function properly. I couldn’t transfer contents from my Android smatphone to the PC and even other devices didn’t work either. I decided to manage it for a while because it wasn’t so important. But recently, I just decided to fix everything on my PC and the MTP USB drivers issue was a top priority. If you are having the same issue like MTP USB drivers not working, your phone’s storage and SD card not mounting on the PC, Windows shows failed during MTP USB driver installation, you will be glad you checked this post. I am going to make it as simple as possible. As you can see on the image above, MTP USB Device Failed, that was the same problem I had. It can happen to any device and unless you fix the failed MTP drivers installation. accessing your device’s content will not be possible via the PC. If other drivers installed when the device is plugged in, MTP USB device driver might fail to install. And that’s why you need to read on to know how to fix it within a minute or two.
[su_heading size=”24″]How To Fix MTP USB Device Drivers On Windows 10 7 8 8.1[/su_heading]Before proceeding, please make sure your windows software is up to date and every other neccessary driver is installed. This will work on any Windows PC (10, 8.1, 8 7) with MTP drivers failed issues. On some devices, you might need to enable USB Debugging to make the drivers install properly, put the device in MTP mode and connect it to the PC via a good USB cable. So below are the steps to fix MTP USB drivers installation failed issue on a Windows PC.
- Connect your device and enable MTP mode from the notifications bar.
- You might still get the same MTP driver installation failed, but don’t worry about that.
- Go to the Device manager. To access device manager, click on Start, right-click on Computer and select Manage
- You should now be in Computer management. Click on Device manager.
- In device manager, you will find Unknown device or an exclamation icon close to the comnected device which means it’s not functioning properly. You can also check under portable devices.
- Right-click on the abnormal device and select Update Driver software
- Select Browse my computer for driver software
- Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
- It will now load a list of compatible drivers for the connected device. Select MTP USB Device and click Next
- Windows will now install the selected MTP USB Device and will show you a confirmation after it’s successful.
Windows has successfully updated your driver software
If you couldn’t get the MTP USB Device Drivers towork correctly after following this guide, please let me know via the comments.