Have you been finding it difficult or impossible to copy text on some websites?
Since you are on this page, the answer is a definite yes.
It’s normal to see a lot of websites disable right-click on your mouse or press and hold on your screen touch smartphones.
This will also disable your browser’s ability to copy anything on the site or right-click to get more options. It’s mostly called right-click disable.
It most times gives users or visitors a bad experience and makes them visit pages like mine for a quick escape.
To make you understand what’s going on, some websites will notify you that right or left click is disabled when you try using it.
Well, before we proceed, let’s see some of the main reasons why webmasters will disable right-click or disable your ability to copy text on the web page.
Why do Webmasters disable right-click on web pages?
When you visit a webpage and you discover it’s not possible to copy an[y text on the page or right-click, then the reason should be on this list.
- The webmaster doesn’t want anyone to copy the text on the webpage. Simple!
- The owner of the website might be having too many content scrapers and just have to disable copying so as to reduce the rate at which the contents are copied.
- The web admin might just have personal reasons for activating copy disable.
I remember when I also activated the right-click disable, l couldn’t help disabling it when I visited my page as a normal user.
Copy from website source code
Since most websites are written in (HTML – Hypertext Markup Language), you can view its content as well as the text via the source code. The source code can be viewed by right-clicking on the website and then selecting “View page source”
However, if the website has disabled right-click, simply insert the code below into your web browser.
Remember to replace the given link above with the URL you want to access. Once you have access to the code you can easily get the information you want and copy paste as you desire.
Take a screenshot of the content
This is particularly useful with images where you can take a screenshot of the image(s) from the restricted website and save it on your device.
In addition, using OCR. i.e “Optical Character Recognition” technology, you can extract all visible text as editable text and copy the text.
You can download the OCR apps for your Android as well as on PC.
Use the Print Webpage Function
You could also use the print page function (CTRL + P) to copy any text on a webpage with disabled copy functionality. It’s the simplest method and I use it almost all the time.
To do this,
- Open the webpage you wish to copy the text from.
- Press the CTRL key + P buttons on your keyboard to bring out the print page function or tool.
- To get a more simplified page, you can tick the Simplify page button (I used UC Browser) and the page will be simplified to contain only text.
- Now you can manually copy and paste whatever you want from the print page without any hindrance.
These are the easiest ways you can copy text from a restricted webpage without turning on too many advanced options.