We know how important an interview is and how satisfying it is to get a job or pass your interview.
Interviews are a lot of job seekers and applicant’s first physical chance to make a good and lasting impression after submitting their CV.
This impression of course, goes a long way to determine whether they get the job or not. As a result, it is advised that one presents himself well during an interview.
Here are some tips and tricks that are sure to work for you in landing the job, scholarship or any other position you seek!
Best Interview Tips And Tricks For 2018
Before the interview
- Ensure you eat breakfast
If you are the type who eats early, make sure you eat before you leave home for the interview to avoid cravings or hunger during interview.
- Do not over eat
Ensure you do not overeat to avoid discomfort during the interview
- Prepare adequately the night before
Prepare yourself in any way you can the night before the interview
- Analyze and check all your documents thoroughly
This is to ensure that all required files for the interviews are intact
- Have extra copies of the documents
It is advised that you have extra copies of all required document. It’s an interview trick that may save you later.
- Make necessary research on the company or their products
Make the necessary research on the company before your interview
- Try to know of their current situation – financially or socially
While researching about the supposed company, you should try to know about their situation, financially or socially. This is a trick to avoid getting caught up in questions.
- Prepare for questions from various angles
It is safer for you to prepare for questions from various angles, so as to be able to answer all/ many of the questions asked.
- Go through common interview questions
Make sure you go through interview questions while preparing for the interview
- Find out more on their policies
Do your best to find out more about their policies, so as to know how to associate with the company.
- Make research on their products, if there are any
- Try to sample the company’s product, to know more about the product
- Avoid alcohol the night before so as to avoid hangover the following morning.
- Sleep and rest well the night before to ensure your mind and body is refreshed and relaxed for the interview the following morning.
- Practice and try to perfect your speaking skills/ question answering ability
- Pick out a corporate outfit that makes you feel confident and comfortable for the interview
- Dress to impress
- Set up mock interview with friends
- Take old works with you, if your works need to be shown
- Choose the best ones
- Prepare a good pitch, if there will be need
- Make research on people coordinating the interview
Although not very likely that you know them, but still is advised that you find out more about them if you do.
- Check out the job description and ensure that you understand what they really want
- Plan your journey or trip ahead
- Even if there is delay, keep calm and wait
- Do not talk loudly in the lobby while waiting
- Compose yourself and your attitude
- Try to stick to the very important points to remember
- Wipe your hands, before you go in, in case you have to shake hands.
- Take deep breaths before you go in
During/ On the day of the interview
- Arrive early
Punctuality is very important, arrive early to the venue of the interview so as to be settled and relaxed before the commencement of the inter view
- Dress neatly and formally in clothes that makes you convenient
- Ensure you are comfortable
- Avoid putting on wrinkled or rumpled clothes and wear neatly pressed clothes to boost your confidence
- Try not to look unkempt
- Be on your best behavior, and appear confident
- Be nice to other applicants
- Be polite to the receptionist and other workers
- Be polite to all you meet at the interview venue
- Silence your phone, to avoid distractions during the interview
- Ensure you have a notebook and pen, for jotting down stuffs and for any other thing you might need them for
- Listen attentively to questions so as to not misunderstand them
- Process questions asked by the interviewers before you reply so as to answer correctly
- Communicate with your body language
- Maintain a good posture
- Do not be awkward in any way
- Avoid being nervous
- Be positive and speak positively
- Express your good thoughts and opinions clearly
- Prepare your questions efficiently
- Answer the “what are your strength and weakness?” question positively
It is not unusual for interviewers to ask these questions, therefore, prepare for it with impressing answers
- Be focused and never get distracted during the job interview
- Expatiate on why you should be employed positively
- Review your online presence, especially your social media pages
Some employers can be tricky, as they may make visit to your social media pages for “dirts”
- Shake hands with confidence and firmly, when you have to.
Do not fidget! And be bold in the way you shake hands
- Find good words for the company if you are asked why you want to work with them
This as well is not an unusual question, the best trick is to know and prepare for it!
- Emphasis more on your strength to help determine the best responsibility/ post for you
- Avoid saying bad things about your past employers
Interviewers tend to set traps with this; they want to know how you really are
- Be positive and specific in evaluating and discussing your future.
- Make eye contact
It shows you have nothing to hide
- Do not fidget
- Keep your calm and compose yourself
- Do not use curse words or swear
- Do not play with things while you are being addressed
- Be Relaxed
- Believe in your ability to succeed with the interview
- It’s your chance to make an impression, let it be a good lasting one
- Make the best use of the first few minutes to make your impression
- If things don’t work out in the first few minutes, do not fidget. You still have some time to correct things
- Be confident, and let this show in the manner you carry yourself
- Speaks clearly, to be heard easily
- Avoid lies, it might cost you the job later if not soon
- Be yourself
There is no point in being someone else, other than yourself
- Sell yourself, with your speech and qualification
- Handle personal questions wisely
- Do not answer any question which is considered to personal
- Answer the “What are your future plans?” questions efficiently
- Do not be too anxious
- Make the most us e of the “tell me about yourself”
- Do not discuss your life history, but rather your strength and weakness
- Avoid giving long answers to questions
- Try to be as precise as possible
- Ask questions
It shows you are prepared to work with them
- Show them you have something really great to offer
It a trick that entice/ convince them to employ you
- Convince them as to why you are the best candidate for the job
- Value yourself and your skills
- Deliver your pitch excellently
- Believe in your limitless ability to convince them
- Do not appear arrogant in any way- your manner of addressing or the way you answer questions.
- Do not ramble, if you do not know the answer, it’s best to stay mute
- Do not be too forward to discuss money issues
- Discuss your experience and achievements
- Avoid telling jokes or being sarcastic for no reason
- Emphasis on your ability to work well on your own and even better while in a team
- Have your questions answered as well, it’s for your safety and assurance
After the interview
- Send a thank you mail afterwards
- Do not pester them after the interview, they will get back to you if there is need
- You are allowed to follow up
If you hear nothing after a few weeks of the interview, then you are allowed to follow up.
- Continue to maintain a clean sheet online
It’s not so unlikely that they check out your activities online, but still do not post anything that may jeopardize your chances
- Do not beat yourself up if rejected, there will be other chances
- If you are accepted, follow procedures
- Connect with the interviewers
- Give follow- up answers to questions asked during the interview, if there is need
- Do not stalk
Yes, you may need the job and be very eager to know the outcome, however, do not stalk your interviewers
- Prepare for other rounds of interview, you never know what may come up
- Check your mail regularly, to avoid missing updates
- Prepare and be ready to be called on.
Do not travel a long distance as you may be called to resume if your performance was okay
- Stay in touch
You may stay in touch if you are rejected but commended.
- You can always ask your boss in your former organisation to put in a good word for you.
15. Do not give up.
Here are some related contents to check out.
These are 100 percent working tips and tricks to help you pass any interview without stress.
Hope you will share the good news with us via the comments box . Good luck!